Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors


Czechs in Trondheim


At the turn of 1942 and 1943, over 1,300 deployed Czechs passed through Trondheim in central Norway. Part of it remained in the Strinda passage camp for several weeks and went further north, past the Arctic Circle.

One third of Czech workers, ie about 300 men, were assigned to work in Trondheim. They worked on construction sites in the port. This was also the case of the Czechs assigned to the company Sager & Woerner, involved in the construction of the submarine base. The largest object of the base became the bunker Dora I. Reinforced concrete dock, which could provide shelter for up to sixteen submarines.

We have the most information about a group of Czechs who worked for the German company Georg Wendell. She performed electrical installations and provided welding work for other constructions. In addition to the German boss and several German masters, 22 Czechs and several Russian prisoners of war worked in it. From the documents and photographs provided to us by the four families of descendants, we can well reconstruct their life there.

The Czechs worked one ten-hour shift here, living in a labor camp Strinda III., where they also ate. They were allowed to move around the city freely after work. Life in Trondheim offered young workers many other social and cultural activities, which deprived those who were assigned to work outside the city. The Czechs established contacts and acquaintances with local Norwegians, went to the cinema and occasionally could buy food and small items from their salary in the city. They also organized their own parties.

They probably experienced the greatest danger in the bombing of the city, which also killed several workers.

Several times a year they were sent on several weekly assemblies to the surrounding ports. They also lived there in camps.

Some of the workers were withdrawn from Trondheim to the Empire in the autumn of 1944, most of those deployed until the end of the war in the city. The group from Wendell left for Oslo immediately after its liberation. Here she did not wait for a joint return to Czechoslovakia, which was organized by Czechoslovakia repatriation officials, but joined the Soviet repatriation transport on its own. After two months of arduous journey through Russia, they returned home. When they returned, many corresponded with Norwegian friends.

Period photographs and documents come from the estate of Mr. J. Lébl, J. Pták, J. Řehoř and others.

Filozofická fakulta
Univerzita Karlova
nám. Jana Palacha 1/2
116 38 Praha 1